** Image by congerdesign on Pixabay
I will always have two modes competing within me: depressed and ambitious. Letting myself express those warring sides is a relief. Transparency is key. Here are my reading plans to ease the ambitiousness and soothe the depression.
Ambitious Yet Depressed
It’s the Shorter Books, man
After reading an epic Sarah J. Maas number books (TWO? AND THEY’RE BOTH HUGE), I am in need of reading quick stories. In addition, I am debating whether or not I can pick up Restore Me in July and another book as well.
- Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
- Obviously, this story is all about empowerment and awesomeness. I miss Warner and I want to get through the first book at least. We’ll see how I feel after reading the first book this week.
- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
- I am unsure if I’ll be able to afford the next book in the series for July, so it’s not too high on my list. Still, I am curious to read the book at some point. It joins my list for the week as it has a setting that taps into my depressed heart. Dystopia but with a fluke character sounds like a lovely touch of ambitious writing that tackles staples of young adult literature.
- Heist Society by Ally Carter
- I have this book for years but never read it. A few weeks ago, I heard that Ally Carter wrote a series about a young female spy. Since I love the Alex Rider books, I thought Carter’s books would be fun. I am all for some female empowerment.
Other Seemingly Short Books that are Neither Depressed (But Maybe Ambitious)
- Half Bad by Sally Green is a book that has been hyped a lot. Mostly, I blame the famous Cait (Paperfury) for giving this trilogy so much weight, pomp, and an alluring reputation.
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs has pictures and an interesting take on supernatural powers. The movie is a lot of fun.
- Novice by Taran Matharu
- Supposedly deals with Pokemon-like concepts,
- Cute creatures (maybe. That’s what I am imagining).
What are your favorite quick reads? How do you deal with dips in your ambition?