It has been a while since I have done a book tag. Here is one I have seen on Maddy (The Book Pusher)’s channel. It has questions inspired by the Grinch character and Christmas grumpiness. Let’s go.
1. Half of the lights on the Christmas tree are burnt out : Name a book/series/character that started out good but then went downhill
Yelena Zaltana and Valek in Poison Study. Nope. They had so much potential. But, Yelena turned into a lady who is good at everything, and Valek was simply a love-sick puppy.
2. Annoying Great Aunt Sally who will not leave you alone : Name a book that you didn’t enjoy, but everyone else seems to love so it never goes away
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. Listen, I have a problem with how women were portrayed in this book. Even the love story was not something I felt remotely interested in. At all.
3. Your pets keep knocking over the Christmas decoration : Name a character that kept messing things up for everyone else (can’t pick a villain!)
Cluck’s douche of a brother in Weight of Feathers. Another someone who ruins things all the time is Mae’s brother in Demon’s Lexicon (His name is Jamie, and I disliked how he was handled overall).
4. You hear your parents putting out the presents and learn Santa isn’t real: Name a book you were spoiled for
Snippets of Fallen Kingdom, like I know some of the people who end up together in later books. Disclaimer, though: I don’t hate spoilers. For the most part, they tend to help me with my anxiety.
5. It’s freezing outside: Name a main character you just couldn’t connect with
Shahrazad in The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh. Nope. Zero connection. She goes from “Oh, I am going to get revenge” to “He is so beautiful” so fast. I can’t even understand the attraction.
6. Mariah Carey’s ‘All I Want for Christmas is You’ and it’s giving you anti-romantic feelings : Name a couple you couldn’t stand
You know that has to be Po and Katsa from Graceling by Kristen Cashore. Oh, I dislike them so much. They are flat cut outs of action figures, who do nothing more than “fight.”
7. That scratchy homemade wool sweater you got for Christmas years ago but won’t get rid of : show some books that have been sitting on your shelves for a while, and you aren’t motivated to read, but you don’t have the heart to get rid of
For whatever reason, I am uncertain about longer books. They scare me. I don’t want to get rid of any of them, because I know it’s very likely that I will enjoy them. Some of those books include Brandon Sanderson’s novels and Brent Weeks’ books as well. It’s just a different genre for me. But, let me reiterate: I have no intention of getting rid of them. I am just not motivated to read them so far.
8. Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer: Name a character death you still are mad about (warn people for spoilers! You can also use TV or movie deaths)
There is a death in Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo that broke me into a thousand pieces. Another one is in City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare.
9. The malls are overly crowded with holiday shoppers: Name a series that has too many books in it/went on too long
Definitely Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. Why is it fourteen books long? And, how on earth am I going to read it without getting tired of these characters?
10. The Grinch : Name a main character you HATE (No villians again!)
The two main people in You Know Me Well by David Levithan and